Bad Moms Schedule Birth Inductions

By on May 24, 2012

A few months ago I shared the story of how (I was judged by a home-birth proponent, and) I am a fan of giving birth in the hospital. I wrote about the birth in full detail, but here's a clip that will set the stage for what I'm going to write about.

And push I did. And push, and push, and push. My baby was stuck and they called in the anesthetist and OR team in case of a C-section. As it was a Sunday, it took them time to get there and my Doctor told me to keep pushing. I pushed for THREE HOURS.

Then I was wheeled into the OR and given a spinal while the OR team looked on – they were sure I’d be having an emergency C-section. My Doctor is as natural as they come and wanted to try to get my baby out. She started with the suction cup. She’s about 5’2″ and 98 pounds and flew backwards. She brought out the salad tongs (forceps) and encouraged me to keep pushing. I was completely numb from the spinal and didn’t know if I was, but they all kept encouraging me.

He had severe bruising on the back of his head from hitting my pelvic bone for three hours, which then turned into jaundice. He had a 38 cm head (35 cm is considered LARGE), he was 9 lbs, 12 oz. (ON HIS DUE DATE) and he got his Dad’s broad shoulders. This meant that I had a 4th degree tear (don’t Google it) and they kept me in the hospital for three nights, which rarely happens these days. Each nurse that had to “check me out” winced when they did so. One of the scariest moments of my life was when I felt the first urge to do a bowel movement. YOU HAVE NO IDEA (or maybe you do).

The reason that I'm bringing this up again is because my good friend Leah wrote a post over at Mom 365 titled “Elective Inductions before 40 Weeks Can Reduce Infant Mortality.”

I'm not going to argue about mortality rates, but I will share my story.

After going through the labour and birth that I did with my firstborn, my Doctor suggested an early induction with my second child. Babies tend to get bigger in subsequent pregnancies, and we knew how well the first one went. Throw in the fact that labour tends to be faster, too, and if you take out the three hours of pushing, my labour was five hours long. We live a forty-minute drive from the hospital.

So, for my second pregnancy, I was induced. The day before, I saw my Doctor and she stripped my membranes. I was already 3 cm. dilated, and that got the party started. When we showed up at the hospital the next morning, we were put on the drip and before I knew it, it was time to push. I pushed once, and she said “ONE MORE PUSH AND THEY'RE OUT.” My thought: “DARNED IF SHE'S GOING TO BE WRONG.” I pushed for the second time, and experience the RING OF FIRE that I had heard about. It was the only time that I yelled during labour, because SERIOUSLY. My ENTIRE INSIDES came out of my VAGINA.

Sorry about that, Dad.

The scenario was pretty much identical for my third child, except for the “IT'S A GIRL!!!!!” exclamations from everyone both offline and online.

Were my early inductions because I wanted to plan the birth date? No. (Though it was nice to know.) Am I saying that early inductions are for you? No. (Unless you birth ten-pound babies and end up with a Frankenvulva.Then you may want to consider it.)

I am saying that early inductions were perfect for me. I didn't have a ginormous baby stuck in my birth canal for many hours under stress, my labours went quickly, my babies were not battered and bruised, and there was no emergency surgery. My first delivery scared me, a lot, and if my second delivery hadn't gone so well I may not have the baby girl that I have today.

buy prescription glasses online

I'm sure you all have thoughts on early inductions. Or inductions in general. I'd (truly) love to hear them.

jfdghjhthit45
zp8497586rq
About Angella

Angella Dykstra, aka reigning monarch of Dutch Blitz, is the wife of one and the mother of three. She’s an accountant by trade but would prefer if we could keep that our little secret. She spends all of her free time writing and taking photos and often ties the two together. She’s proudly Canadian but loves Americans, and not just because they created Target.

Comments

1. Beth Sutherland says:

It totally depends on the baby as well and the position. Mine were both 12 days over, both 9lbs 15oz. First back to back and induced, 2nd a better position and started finally after a sweep. The labour without being induced was a lot easier than the one with syntocin. I haemorrhage pretty badly with both, they were ready for me to with our second. I know your risk is lower to haemorrhage at home, but it’s not lower for me. I am one of the unlucky ones who would have litres of blood loss with no intervention at all.

I’d avoid induction if I could and wouldn’t opt for an early induction as I’ve found it a harder labour that resulted in intervention. But really, baby here safe and sound is all that matters to me however (or wherever) they come into this world. My SIL just had a 10lbs 11.5oz baby naturally lol.

2. Stephanie says:

I’m all for what the mom and her doctors and her family are down with. Does the mom have access to all the pros and cons of her chosen method? Does she trust her medical care (at least enough to ask questions if things get to a place she’s unsure of)?

Then go for it sister. God be with you because someday you’ll wish your biggest concern was a ripped lady bag.
    Stephanie´s last [type] ..The Garage of Suffering

3. MMM says:

I was overdue in my first pregnancy so my OB scheduled me for induction. Of course, this meant that I went in to labor on my own the day before. I labored for 12 hours before they decided to induce me anyway, so they started the drip and wowza! that really got things going. Very shortly after that, they discovered that my son was breech which meant an emergency C-section. I am still thankful that I was in hospital. Does this mean that I begrudge anyone their home birth? Nope. Do I think that you should schedule (an early) induction? Yep. If that’s what you and your partner and doctor decide is the best thing, then go ahead. I did what I was comfortable with and think that everyone else should too. My second delivery was a scheduled C-section (yes, an entirely different can o’ worms, I know) because the first delivery scared me as well. I think that it’s YOUR body and YOUR baby and you can do what you want. I’m much less judgey than I was BEFORE I had kids. :)

• Smail says:

Thank you for your comment. Off-the-shelf viedos range from about $59 $149 AUD each for short 1-5 minute viedos (these are generally toolbox’ style viedos) to about $395 -$495 AUD for the longer and most up to date titles. Here is a link to some of our most popular , but let me know if you have specific topics you need to cover.

4. stephanie says:

Depends on how early and for what purpose. Too many parents exert their will on their children without thinking of the outcomes. Not stating anyone here did that but its why I think early inductions are iffy.

• julia says:

All medical interventions are iffy when done without consideration of the risks, motivations, and alternatives. I have a much bigger problem when decisions are influenced by a medical officer’s profit motivation or a hospital’s lack of bed space. I think it is misguided to be focusing on parents who could be making an unwise choice because they want their child to conform to their wishes. The bigger issue is systemic and part of a for-profit medical system.

My natural midwife delivery turned into a massive intervention after 52 hours of labour. I am so tired of having to convince other moms that it was made for the right reasons. Give me the benefit of the doubt for crying out loud. I’m not a moron. If you are worried about unnecessary and early inductions, confront the medical system that doesn’t provide enough space and time. But don’t assume women are making selfish or uninformed decisions. It is much too easy to attack the individual – but it’s not the right way.

5. Aussie says:

My thoughts on inductions? Worked for me!

They stuck some gel up there and out popped a healthy baby 7 hrs later.

I was overdue so only needed a nudge along to get things going.

I am of the opinion that whatever it takes to have a healthy baby and mother at the end is fine by me. Back in the ‘good old days’ there were a lot less c-sections/inductions/interventions etc and there also a lot more maternal deaths, child deaths and permanent damage…so give me a sensible doctor and a lovely big hospital full of resuscitation equipment any day!

I certainly wouldn’t be here without it (blue baby, born with an apgar of 1 and a team of 12 medics rushed from the main hospital for mum and I…thanks to modern intervention I’m here to have an opinion! Yes, I have no idea what all 12 – in addition to the dr’s and midwives already there at the birthing hospital – would actually be doing, or even how they’d fit in the one room but whatever they all did, they did it right).

6. Kadambari Shyam Kumar says:

I had labour for nearly 5 days with my doctor issuing an induction on the 6th day before I had to g for a C Section because my boy did not want to be born. Labour started with him turning to breech then when they got him heads down he went sunny side up and they werent sure as the scan machine went on the fritz. To top it all off I had contractions every 3 seconds and he was kicking my ribs